Anxiety and Learning
How to improve students’ academic performance and wellbeing
This inspiring day gives you practical guidance and proven techniques for reducing student anxiety, increasing students’ abilities and reinvigorating their love of learning
Anxiety and Learning
Length 1 day (9.30am - 4.00pm)
Tutor: Gareth Hughes
CPD Certificate: 6 hours
Suitable for: see below
Date: New dates TBA
Please register your interest and we will let you know the new date as soon as it is available.
- Price: £192 per person
Price includes lunch, refreshments and course notes
Book your place
Select a location & date
Internationally renowned student wellbeing expert Gareth Hughes’ wide-ranging day looks at the crucial links between our emotions and learning and provides you with a range of clear, easy-to-implement strategies to lower students’ anxiety generally, increase motivation and help students overcome: exam anxiety, writer’s block, fear of public speaking and much more.
Profoundly helpful – Gareth Hughes' experience and compassion shone through...Vice Dean
Why take this course
The growing levels of anxiety, depression and perfectionism among our school and university students – exacerbated by the increasing focus on exam results, league tables and immediate employment possibilities – is causing many students to perform well below their potential.
Stress and anxiety massively inhibit academic learning and performance. Some may present with general anxiety and low motivation; others may experience anxiety in relation to specific tasks, such as taking exams, giving presentations or writing (often developing writer’s block).
As high levels of anxiety can lead to more serious mental health problems – and even suicide – it’s imperative we give adolescents the information and skills they need to cope with the many pressures they’re under today. By pushing more and more of our young people towards anxiety, depression or self-harming – in some cases even suicide – we are undermining the fabric of our country’s future. This course is designed to help counter that.
The essential information and techniques you will learn – which tutor Gareth Hughes uses with great success at the University of Derby – will reduce student stress and anxiety, enable them to manage their emotions better and become more resilient and productive so that they can get the most out of their academic lives…
I’m going to use the information for all students – not only for those who have anxiety problems as it is applicable to allLecturer Biochemistry
What will you learn
- A clear understanding of how anxiety and stress contributes to poor learning – at any age
- How anxiety reduces motivation, causes writer’s block, freezes a student’s ability to remember what they’ve learned, impacts negatively on exam performance and messes up presentations
- Essential insights into the links between learning and emotion
- 5 fast, effective techniques to unblock thinking and lower anxiety
- The common myths that are making our students anxious
- Practical actions that students can take to start reducing their anxiety right away
- An understanding of what really motivates students to improve their academic performance
- A profound, holistic model of learning – in tune with how our brains actually work
- How to develop more productive study routines
- Tips on how to unlock writer’s block
- A better understanding of why a good night’s sleep helps
- New insights into why so many young people experience anxiety today – and the serious impact this can have on their mental health
- Case histories – Gareth shares examples from his own extensive work with university students to illustrate key points
- The importance of mental rehearsal
- How to help students speak in public with confidence
- Proven ways to help people overcome exam anxiety
- The key things to remember when working with anxious teenagers and young people
- Guidance for students on how to look after their own mental health
- Don’t ignore the basics – how meeting physical needs can boost learning
- Plus plenty of opportunities to ask questions of the highly knowledgeable and experienced tutor
The ‘Anxiety and Learning’ course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
- School and university counsellors or anyone involved in supporting students to manage their emotions and / or improve their academic performance
- Students and parents or carers wishing to help their children academically or to help them prepare for university
- Teachers, lecturers or other education professionals who are interested in creating environments more conducive to learning and helping students perform to their potential
- Anyone involved in supporting students with specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia or problems with their mental health
- Study skills advisors who are interested in having a deeper knowledge of the interaction between emotions, the brain and learning and who wish to expand the strategies they use to help students
- Anyone involved in working with or supporting learners and young people
Register your interest - next date
If you would like to be first to know once the new date is released, please complete the form below and we will keep you up to date.
The whole presentation was extraordinarily rich – excellent, thank you.Psychotherapist
Fantastic for my children about to do GCSEs etc – really helpful tips for me to get them to help themselves if anxious. Very reassuring to learn that that things can change. I think you should get more teachers to do the course!Parent
Really enjoyed the very practical focus with lots of suggestions to help students. Very adaptable course – I can also use the ideas with adults who are struggling with anxiety in life in general.Counsellor