The Therapeutic Power of Language
– a psychotherapy skills masterclass
The language we use has a huge impact on others – on this practical, inspiring course you will learn how to combine solution-focused techniques and effective language skills to help relieve distress and improve outcomes, as quickly as possible…
The Therapeutic Power of Language
Length 2 days (9:30am - 4:00pm)
Tutor: Gareth Hughes
CPD Certificate 12 hours
- Price: £384 per person
Includes lunch, refreshments and course notes
Excellent course! I’ve learnt so much and been inspired so much. Gareth has a wonderful style of delivery...Mary Flynn
This course is suitable for anyone working with adults, teens or children – the knowledge and skills you will gain have a wide range of applications in addition to therapy and counselling, including coaching, healthcare, teaching, motivation, overcoming resistance, emotional turmoil and much more.
You will leave with a powerful toolkit of precisely-targeted and creative therapeutic language skills, as well as a range of effective brief therapy strategies. These can be easily tailored to any individual and used to successfully help people resolve a wide range of conditions and problems as quickly as possible.
If you want to be more effective in what you do, these are core skills to have…
Why take this course
Language is key to everything we do – being aware of the power of language to help or do harm is essential when we’re trying to help people. Knowing how to use it well can make all the difference to a successful therapeutic outcome.
Paying attention to the language we use is central to the human givens approach to therapy and counselling: our choice of words is crucial in building rapport with people, learning more about someone – their unique qualities and abilities – in listening and responding, in providing motivation and in collaborating to agree goals and strategies for the effective resolution of their problems.
The careful use of language is essential for other areas of life too: at work, home, with family and friends – and this 2-day course is accessible to all. It can be taken as part of the Human Givens Diploma or as a stand-alone course.
You will gain a solid foundation in the most effective brief solution-focused strategies and language skills that are essential if you want to be able to help people as quickly as possible. By distilling the essence of proven brief therapy approaches and working in tune with the givens of human nature, outcomes can be dramatically improved and suffering successfully reduced.
You will also learn how any team of professional healthcare workers can safely incorporate brief therapy techniques into their work with patients suffering from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, PTSD, anger, OCD, eating disorders, addiction and relationship/marital/family problems, thereby improving outcomes and reducing suffering on an even wider scale.
Good to know
This course gives you essential skills that are used in the successful treatment of a wide range of conditions, such as anxiety disorders, depression, addictions, self-harm, OCD and the rewind technique for treating trauma and phobias. They are also fundamental skills to have when using guided imagery and visualisation.
This course is an essential component of Part 1 of the HG Diploma.
I feel very excited and energised. I can't wait to start using these techniques...Occupational Therapist
What will you learn
- The essential skills needed for successful brief therapy
- New information about the APET™ model – why it is so important to construct therapy that is in tune with our how brains work (our emotional reactions come first) – this speeds up therapy and explains why purely cognitive and behavioural approaches can take so long
- An ability to get to the root of the matter quickly by establishing which innate needs are not being met and why (the essence of effective brief therapy)
- Quick rapport building skills
- How to use the RIGAAR™ structure to improve therapy outcomes
- Reflective listening and reflective reframing
- How to use therapeutic language skills directly and indirectly to initiate change
- Ways to use solution-focused questioning to create a framework for change
- How to identify and use your client’s own life resources
- An understanding of why the human givens approach dramatically increases the likelihood of therapy being brief, regardless of the presenting problem
- A range of psychological interventions to use with common psychiatric problems: anxiety, panic attacks, depression, intrusive thoughts, relationship difficulties and so on
- Promoting cooperation by developing realistic and achievable goals
- How to identify exceptions (when the problem doesn’t occur) and get the patient to take credit for them
- How to generate motivation for change in your patients
- Separating the patient’s core identity from their problem
- How to minimise or overcome resistance
- How not to be drawn in to a client’s negative self-view
- Great use of case histories to illustrate the skills covered
- How to use the psychological laws of positive expectancy and concentrated attention
- An understanding of why taking this collaborative human givens stance, reduces stress and pressure on you
- Plenty of opportunity to consolidate what you are learning by practising the skills yourself
How is the course structured?
Held over two consecutive days, this skills-based practical workshop combines a blend of talks, demonstrations and exercises. Each day starts at 9.30pm and finishes at 4.00pm, with 2 breaks for networking and refreshment and 45 minutes for lunch.
Course notes, refreshments and lunch are included on both days.
Who is this course suitable for?
You and your patients will benefit enormously from you attending these two days. If you are a counsellor, psychotherapist, clinical psychologist, mental health nurse, GP, doctor, nurse, OT, physiotherapist, youth worker, social worker, health visitor, support worker or any other caring professional, and wish to be more effective in what you do, this course gives you the perfect opportunity to discover new, subtle but highly effective skills with plenty of time to practise to help you assimilate them into your own work.
Many other professions – such as educational and business professionals – also find the skills and information covered highly applicable to and beneficial for their own work.
It is also suitable for anyone who is thinking of a career in this field as these are core skills needed for successful brief, solution-focused psychotherapy.
The wonderful, intensive overview and practise of language skills was very effective and has given me a new impetus to use and practise these more consciously.Lecturer
Very practical and focused – immediately applicable. I’ll be using this in my work from tomorrow!Psychotherapist
Very relevant to lots of life activities at the moment as well as patients. So relevant to what I do – very practical directions for the consultation.General Practitioner