Guided Imagery – essential techniques
Length 1 day (9.30am - 4.00pm)
Tutor: Rosalind Townsend
CPD Certificate: 6 hours
- Price: £192 per person
Price includes lunch, refreshments and course notes
LIMITED SPACES available per course
NEW: Join Ros Townsend on Thursday 30th March in London to learn powerful therapeutic techniques such as ‘counter-conditioning’. This workshop is open to anyone with experience in using guided imagery – it is also a new addition to Part 1 of the Human Givens Diploma. NB more dates and venues available.
Why take this course
This new workshop delves deeper into this essential therapeutic skill’s power and flexibility – you will learn a variety of guided imagery techniques that are highly effective at helping people move on from problem behaviours, reframe life circumstances, lower emotional arousal, make therapeutic lifestyle changes, increase resilience and more.
Building on the skills learnt on Guided Imagery and Visualisation for therapeutic change (‘Day 1’), this second workshop focuses specifically on the techniques that allow clients to move forward from depression, overcome anxiety and combat addiction. We also look at how to introduce helpful new understandings to clients in a way that overcomes resistance.
Strong emotions focus and lock attention keeping people trapped or stuck, so this hands-on training also gives you the opportunity to further develop your therapeutic abilities to help people rehearse in their imagination any desired change to their behaviours and/or feelings, which dramatically increases the likelihood of those changes taking place in ‘real life’, and then being maintained in the future.
Guided imagery, as taught on Day 1 is one of the most powerful psychotherapeutic tools available to us; Day 2 will allow you to develop your ability to use it flexibly and successfully in a range of different client presentations. These are essential skills to have in your therapeutic ‘toolkit’.
Ros has a lovely delivery style that’s very inspiring and left me with so many ideas going forward...Mary Flynn, Guided Imagery and Visualisation for Therapeutic Change
What will you learn
- How to use the brain’s powerful internal ‘reality generator’ to enable clients to make desired change in their lives
- Invaluable ways to enable a client to approach situations with confidence and overcome situational anxiety
- Powerful ways of using this skill to help a client take the ‘first steps’ out of depression
- An effective technique (counter-conditioning) which increases likelihood of success when working with clients struggling with addiction
- Understanding of how to use guided imagery effectively when supporting a client with behaviour change of any kind
- The use of metaphor within guided imagery; how to craft powerful extended metaphors which take into account a client’s individual model of reality
- Training and practice in using these techniques
Greater confidence in working flexibly with this technique so as to respect each individual client’s model of reality
- Powerful ways to introduce helpful ideas to a resistant client without breaking rapport
- Supervised practice in specific techniques for work with a range of presentations
- How to use healing trance states to reframe difficult life circumstances and build hope using the client’s own resources
- Specific techniques that can be used to manage pain, or work with anxiety or any other strong state of distress
- Increased understanding of trance states and their role in everyday life
A scientifically-sound knowledge of why the various techniques and skills you will gain are so valuable
- A range of ways to help people improve their performance – sports, public speaking etc.
- The opportunity to experience for yourself specific new techniques within guided imagery and visualisation
- And more
Good to know
In order to attend this course, you need to have completed Guided Imagery and visualisation for therapeutic change (Day 1) or have plenty of experience already in guided imagery and visualisation for relaxing clients. (If you are taking the HG Diploma, you will need to attend both days.)
The advanced skills you will learn on this second day are introduced on the following courses as integral to effective treatment for those conditions:
This course counts towards Part 1 of the Human Givens Diploma.
The ‘Guided Imagery and Visualisation Techniques – Day 2’ course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who has already attended Guided Imagery and Visualisation for Therapeutic Change (Day 1) or who has experience in using guided imagery and visualisation to induce a relaxed state in their clients
- Anyone, with the above skills, who wants to help people effectively and for the long-term, particularly those working in mental and physical healthcare, or with addictions or self harm
- Psychotherapists, counsellors and mental health workers (who also have the above skills) who work with a wide range of conditions and would like to ensure long-term behaviour change
- Trained hypnotherapists looking to extend and build on their existing skillset and understanding.