The Therapeutic Power of Language
- Price: £384 per person
Includes lunch, refreshments and course notes
Weekend dates: Sat 16th–Sun 17th November, in Bristol
I feel very excited and energised. I can't wait to start using these techniques in my work.Occupational Therapist
This essential 2-day course gives you a powerful toolkit of precisely-targeted, creative therapeutic language skills and strategies for successfully helping people resolve emotional turmoil as quickly as possible. They are also very effective for motivating people, overcoming resistance and much more…
Why take this course
Despite more and more effort and resources being put into helping people in distress, the numbers of people suffering mental health problems continues to rise. In addition, the continuing cost constraints put upon the medical and caring professions and the increasing realisation of the risks associated with drug treatments, mean there is an ever increasing demand for better outcomes from brief, psychological treatments for emotional problems.
But the good news is – as more and more people are discovering – by distilling the essence of proven brief therapy approaches and working with the givens of human nature through the APET™ model, outcomes can be dramatically improved and suffering successfully reduced.
This lively two-day workshop shows you how to do this and gives you a solid foundation in the most effective brief solution-focused strategies and language skills – these are essential if you want to be able to help people as quickly as possible.
It also shows you how any team of professional healthcare workers can safely incorporate brief therapy techniques into their work with patients suffering from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, PTSD, anger, OCD, eating disorders, addiction and relationship/marital/family problems, thereby improving outcomes and reducing suffering on an even wider scale.
So many practical ways of engaging and drawing out even the most recalcitrant client – thanks for a great two daysCounsellor / Volunteer
What will you learn
- The essential skills needed for successful brief therapy
- New information about the APET™ model – why it is so important to construct therapy that is in tune with our how brains work (our emotional reactions come first) – this speeds up therapy and explains why purely cognitive and behavioural approaches can take so long
- An ability to get to the root of the matter quickly by establishing which innate needs are not being met and why (the essence of effective brief therapy)
- Quick rapport building skills
- How to use the RIGAAR™ structure to improve therapy outcomes
- Reflective listening and reflective reframing
- How to use therapeutic language skills directly and indirectly to initiate change
- Ways to use solution-focused questioning to create a framework for change
- How to identify and use your client’s own life resources
- An understanding of why the human givens approach dramatically increases the likelihood of therapy being brief, regardless of the presenting problem
- A range of psychological interventions to use with common psychiatric problems: anxiety, panic attacks, depression, intrusive thoughts, relationship difficulties and so on
- Promoting cooperation by developing realistic and achievable goals
- How to identify exceptions (when the problem doesn’t occur) and get the patient to take credit for them
- How to generate motivation for change in your patients
- Separating the patient’s core identity from their problem
- How to minimise or overcome resistance
- How not to be drawn in to a client’s negative self-view
- Great use of case histories to illustrate the skills covered
- How to use the psychological laws of positive expectancy and concentrated attention
- An understanding of why taking this collaborative human givens stance, reduces stress and pressure on you
- Plenty of opportunity to consolidate what you are learning by practising the skills yourself
How is the course structured?
Held over two consecutive days, this skills-based practical workshop combines a blend of talks, demonstrations and exercises. Each day starts at 9.30pm and finishes at 4.00pm, with 2 breaks for networking and refreshment and 45 minutes for lunch.
Course notes, refreshments and lunch are included on both days.
Who is this course suitable for?
You and your patients will benefit enormously from you attending these two days. If you are a counsellor, psychotherapist, clinical psychologist, mental health nurse, GP, doctor, nurse, OT, physiotherapist, youth worker, social worker, health visitor, support worker or any other caring professional, and wish to be more effective in what you do, this course gives you the perfect opportunity to discover new, subtle but highly effective skills with plenty of time to practise to help you assimilate them into your own work.
Many other professions – such as educational and business professionals – also find the skills and information covered highly applicable to and beneficial for their own work.
It is also suitable for anyone who is thinking of a career in this field as these are core skills needed for successful brief, solution-focused psychotherapy.
The wonderful, intensive overview and practise of language skills was very effective and has given me a new impetus to use and practise these more consciously.Lecturer
Very practical and focused – immediately applicable. I’ll be using this in my work from tomorrow!Psychotherapist
Very relevant to lots of life activities at the moment as well as patients. So relevant to what I do – very practical directions for the consultation.General Practitioner