Brief therapy for stopping addictions
- Price: £192 per person
Price includes lunch, refreshments and course notes
NEXT DATE: Thurs 26th August, Bristol – book online now or call our friendly team on 01323 811690 for further details.
Hugely informative - one of the best days training I’ve ever hadAddictions Counsellor
When combined with new insights into the addictive process and what drives it, the techniques you will learn prove immensely effective at helping people overcome a wide range of addictions, as well as reducing relapses and withdrawal symptoms…
Why take this course
As the number of people affected by addiction continues to rise, the mental, physical and financial suffering this causes to individuals, their families and colleagues, can be immense.
Thankfully it is possible to help most addicts transform their lives in a small number of sessions – as you will discover on this highly practical, skills-based day.
New ideas and techniques from various schools of brief, solution-focused therapy are showing that it is possible to help most addicts transform their lives in a small number of sessions.
At this practical training day – which complements the online course Tackling addiction: Understanding how to stop all types of addictive behaviour – you will learn and practise the powerful skills derived from the human givens approach (which organically integrates the best brief therapy techniques) that are helping people overcome a wide range of addictions, including: alcoholism, heroin, smoking, gambling addiction, shopping, social media addiction, sex, self-harm and eating disorders.
These skills are essential if you wish to improve your effectiveness when working with any addiction.
A total revelation – very upliftingMental Health Worker
What will you learn
- Demonstrations – by a leading expert in addiction counselling – of the powerful skills that help to quickly break the patterns of addictive behaviour
- Guidance and practise in using these yourself
- New insights into the addictive process and why people become addicted
- Essential motivational interviewing techniques (and how to incorporate them into the stages of change)
- Common traps to avoid when treating addictions
- Up-to-date knowledge of the most useful ways to beat a wide variety of addictions – and prevent relapse
- Ways to overcome resistance
- How to develop a treatment plan and deepen a client’s commitment to change
- Increased understanding of the addictive trance and its false promises
- How to use narrative and harm reduction techniques
- An understanding of the importance of guided imagery in overcoming addictions, and the opportunity to use and experience it for yourself
- Co-morbid conditions – the link with addiction and how to deal with them as effectively and quickly as possible
- A new confidence that comes from knowing how much can be done – when you know how
- Course notes, CPD Certificate and more…
Required prior skills
Guided imagery and visualisation skills are essential skills for implementing the strategies taught on this workshop.
The information and skills you will learn on this day are useful for working with people who self-harm.
This workshop complements our online course Tackling Addiction.
The ‘Brief therapy for stopping addictions – a practical skills-based day’ course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
All members of the caring professions, including: drug workers, youth workers, doctors, nurses, psychotherapists, counsellors, clinical psychologists, occupational therapists, psychiatrists, cognitive behavioural therapists, teachers, social workers, physiotherapists, support workers and anyone wishing to improve their understanding of addictive behaviour and how to treat it.
One of the best study days I have ever attended – everything just fell into place. It's my first HG course, but it won't be my last!Therapist / Life Coach
Outstanding content – I've listened to many 'experts' on addiction but this is the first time I've heard anything that makes sense.Project Co-ordinator
Having the opportunity to put the theory into practice is wonderful. Has helped to build confidence in myself for future work with clients.Counsellor
You may also like
Freedom from addiction
The secret behind successful addiction busting: If you want to overcome your own addictive behaviour – whatever it is – or are interested in helping others to overcome theirs, this down-to-earth, easy-to-read book gives the clear guidance and practical steps you need to do so.