With mental health problems affecting ever-increasing numbers of people, there is an economic and moral need for psychotherapy to improve.
What an inspirational, motivating course!Psychiatrist
Why take this course
Brief solution-focused therapy has been found (in a meta-analysis of hundreds of efficacy studies) to be far more effective in treating anxiety disorders, depression, phobias, trauma and addiction, than any form of therapy that assumes treatment needs to be long-term.
But not all brief psychotherapeutic approaches are the same – some are more effective than others.
On his hugely informative course, Ivan Tyrrell distils the essential components you need to make your psychotherapeutic interventions as quick, reliably effective and long-lasting as possible. He clearly demonstrates how, by combining proven psychotherapeutic skills with new insights and techniques derived from the human givens approach (such as how to work more in tune with the brain by using the APET™ model), we can help distressed individuals and families even more effectively.
The result is a powerful integrative, bio-psycho-social approach that allows you to work flexibly with each client’s situation – helping them to recover their lives as quickly as possible – and empowering them with new knowledge and skills that will build resilience against future setbacks.
Anyone working in the welfare and caring professions can safely introduce these new strategies and concepts into their work – you will also gain a richer knowledge of why so many people have mental and emotional problems.
It's impressive how much can be achieved in one session.Case Manager / Registered Nurse
What will you learn
- A clear understanding of why a bio-psycho-social approach should determine how psychological interventions are structured
- Novel ways to overcome resistance and motivate people
- The chance to see skilled brief therapy in action (filmed examples) – with moving and riveting case histories
- How to make a difference fast, even with ‘stuck’ clients
- New treatments for anxiety, panic attacks, depression, anger, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), eating disorders, addictions, relationship/marital/family problems, and to help survivors of abusive relationships more effectively
- 47 vital tips that will make you more effective
- How to communicate with the emotional brain
- Ways to develop rapport quickly and gather good quality information from your clients
- Knowledge of the APET™ model and why this improves outcomes
- A better understanding of how emotions affect thought
- How to use a client’s own language therapeutically
- A richer knowledge of why so many people have mental and emotional problems and what you can to do help them
- Why brief psychotherapeutic approaches work so well
- How to establish clear outcomes and realistic goals
- The best ways to rehearse success and improve outcomes
- The importance of metaphor
- Examples of how to incorporate these strategies into your own practice
- Increased confidence when working with difficult cases
- Course notes
- CPD certificate, that also counts towards the Human Givens Diploma
- and much more…
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone wishing to know more about the best ways to combine brief therapeutic techniques to powerful effect so that individuals can be helped to move on as quickly as possible
- All health and welfare professionals, including: counsellors, psychotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, midwifes, doctors, health visitors, social or youth workers
- Anyone who’d like to be able work effectively with each individual they see, in a truly integrated bio-psycho-social way
- If you’d like to improve your practical counselling or psychotherapy skills so that you can help individuals and families as quickly as possible, this course is for you
- Anyone curious about why some people get better results than others when working with depression, anxiety disorders and more…
Meet your tutor
Ivan Tyrrell worked for many years as a psychotherapist and now spends most of his time lecturing and writing.
‘Effective Brief Psychotherapy’ is based on our one-day seminar of the same name. This online course is split into 4 modules, each of which are broken down further into different sections containing filmed lectures given in English by the tutor, Ivan Tyrrell.
Each film clip is followed by a short series of multiple choice questions. These are designed to help you think about and absorb the course content and to check that you have understood the main points of that section before proceeding to the next.
There are also course notes for you to download, plus additional reading information and helpful links.
You can take as long as you like to work your way through the course and can view it as many times as you like.
Once you have completed the course, you will receive a CPD certificate, which counts towards the Human Givens Diploma.
Brilliant! I can honestly say I learnt more today than on my 8-week counselling course.Children's and Families Officer, Social Services
Great day, thank you. Very down to earth approach – it demystified some areas of therapy I thought were very complicated.Charity Programme Manager
Excellent day, very informative. Came away with new ideas, new tools and new directions. Helped me with some stuck clients.Counsellor