How to lift depression
– the practical skills you need
Discover how to combine key new insights into the causes and symptoms of depression with a range of powerful psychological techniques to make treatment easier and more consistently effective …
- Price: £198 per person
Includes course notes, refreshments and lunch.
Practical, inspiring and full of hopeDr Gina Johnson, GP
NEXT DATE: Thursday 18th April 2024, London – join Diploma tutor Jo Baker to gain powerful new insights and techniques that you can use straight away to help people move on from depression. Book online now or call our friendly team on 01323 811690 to ensure your place. Other dates and venues available.
Why take this course
Until recently depression was little understood but key new insights into its causes and symptoms have made treatment easier and more consistently effective. On this day you will learn how combining these insights with a wide range of different psychological techniques enables the majority of cases to be lifted surprisingly quickly … even severe ones.
Although antidepressants can play a role in reducing symptoms, they can also be dangerous and prove hard to withdraw from – research shows that appropriate counselling is more effective at lifting even the most severe depression, with a much lower rate of relapse. The approach you will learn on this workshop is in this category and is proving very effective – 10,000s of people have already been successfully helped with the knowledge and skills you will learn on the day.
I feel much more confident in my understanding of the process of depression and how to target it with helpful interventionsDaniel Cooper
What will you learn
- New insights into why depressed people wake up tired and unmotivated, and what to do about it
- Information about the links between inflammation and depression
- Clear, practical steps for lifting even severe depression
- Demonstrations of the skills that quickly break the cycle of depression, move people on and prevent relapse
- A profound understanding of why these work and are a big improvement on drug therapy
- Practice sessions in using these proven skills and techniques yourself
- What to do if you suspect someone may be feeling suicidal
- How to establish what’s not working in a person’s life and why, using a case history
- Techniques for tackling rigid thinking, negative expectancy and the pessimistic rumination that causes depression
- How to work with your clients to find effective ways they can get their innate emotional needs met well and in balance
- A range of additional useful tips and strategies that you can easily incorporate into your work
- The opportunity to watch a film of master therapist Joe Griffin working quickly and successfully with a highly depressed patient
- You will also have plenty of time to ask questions of the tutor, who is also a practising therapist herself…
Everyone, not just the caring professions, should do this day.General Practitioner
Who is this course suitable for?
- If your life is affected by depression in any way – perhaps the staff or students you are responsible for at work present with depression, or a friend or family member is depressed – you will benefit from attending
- Anyone who, for whatever reason (personal or professional), would like to better understand the causes of depression and be able to offer practical help to people who are depressed
- If you would like to know how best to prevent relapses and help clients build long-lasting resilience against future setbacks, this workshop is for you
- Anyone concerned about the side effects of drug treatments for depression, who would like to know about the easy-to-learn psychotherapeutic techniques that can lift depression quickly, will benefit from attending
- It is essential training for counsellors, psychotherapists, social workers, occupational therapists, HR professionals and all other health and welfare professionals – since depression is now so common, it is crucial to understand it and know how to treat it quickly and effectively.
The ‘How to lift depression – the practical skills you need’ course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
This course has been independently accredited by the internationally recognised CPD Standards Office for 6 hours of CPD training.
On completion of this training you’ll receive CPD certificates from the College and the CPD Standards Office.
This course is not a substitute for individual therapy
Wonderful training. I work with university students who often come in with problems like depression – this has given me such useful, clear information – now I have the understanding and techniques to be able to offer practical help with what I deal with regularly, thank you.Health Advisor
I didn’t think learning about depression would be so enjoyable!Community Wellbeing Worker
Excellent and engaging. Complex ideas packaged very clearly and really useful techniques to take away for my work.University Mentor