How to work effectively with troubled and troublesome teenagers
- Price: £192 per person
Price includes lunch, refreshments and course notes
Book your place
Select a location & date
The best workshop I have attended so far and I’ve done eight! Everything was relevant – completely spot on.Teacher / Tutor
Why take this course
Tutor Richard Brook brings a practical and humorous approach to the bewildering array of models currently directed at front-line workers.
The programme is varied and intensive, yet lively with a strong focus on gaining skills. It clarifies what healthy teenage development looks like, why things can go wrong and the best ways to help young people overcome obstacles and begin to create lives for themselves that work well.
Richard also shows how, by working with the ‘givens’ of human nature, and ensuring that sound knowledge of how people really function is applied intelligently to teenagers, you can speed up progress, reduce anti-social behaviour and teen depression, and bring young people real benefits.
At the end of the day you will find yourself more empowered to respond effectively to each individual’s needs, temperament and learning style, whilst avoiding the emotional pitfalls of working in stressful situations.
Such a realistic and logical approach – it's given me lots of ideas for working with a variety of people, not just teenagers!Probation Officer
What will you learn
- The essential knowledge and skills you need to deliver effective interventions to young people – both individually and in groups
- An increased understanding of what drives most problematic behaviour, including anti-social behaviour
- What healthy teenage development looks like – this may bring you some surprises!
- Ways to respond effectively to each individual’s needs, temperament and learning style, whilst avoiding the emotional pitfalls of working in stressful situations.
- A clear and logical foundation upon which to structure creative and effective interventions
- A deeper understanding of the causes of adolescent mental health problems
- Constructive ways to help prevent teenage depression, anxiety and stress
- An expanded repertoire of skills and a refined understanding of what works and – most importantly – why
- A range of simple and effective techniques for engaging uncommunicative young people, building rapport and promoting behavioural changes
- The opportunity to try these techniques out
- The common misconceptions about adolescence
- How to discover and build upon a young person’s strengths
- Ways to motivate young people and help them set achievable goals
- Practical problem-solving with young people
- Four vital guiding principles that ensure your work with young people is relevant and effective
- Knowledge of how the insights from the human givens approach can dramatically improve interventions and their outcomes
- The opportunity to discuss how you could implement these in your own work with a highly knowledgeable tutor who has years of hands-on experience
- Increased confidence in your own ability to affect positive change
- Course notes, CPD Certificate and more…
The ‘How to work effectively with troubled and troublesome teenagers’ course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who has to deal or work with troubled and troublesome teenagers, including: teachers, youth workers, mentors, drug workers, social workers, schools counsellors, educational psychologists, primary mental health workers, all members of youth offending teams, youth justice workers, police and probation officers, prison staff, parents, residential and foster carers
- People who work directly with young people through sport and/or outside activities
- Anyone interested in improving adolescent mental health and reducing anti-social behaviour
- Many parents and even young people themselves have also found the course helpful
Very practical, useful advice and a new approach to bringing about behavioural change.Garda Diversion Youth Project Co-ordinator (Police Juvenile Projects in Ireland)
….a very comprehensive and thoughtful course which covered a lot of information in an imaginative and interactive way. Well researched and professionally delivered – thank you. I will encourage others to attend.Social Worker
Such a realistic and logical approach, it has given me lots of ideas for working with a variety of people, not just troublesome teenagers!Probation Officer