How to work effectively with troubled teenagers
Length 1 day (9.15am–4.00pm GMT)
Tutor: Richard Brook
CPD Certificate - 6 hours
- Price: £145 £125 per person
Course notes included.
Book your place
Select a date
The best workshop I have attended so far and I’ve done eight! Everything was relevant – completely spot on.Teacher / Tutor
Live Online – Join Richard Brook for this live online workshop via Zoom. The impact of the last few years on young people means it’s now more important than ever to know how to connect with, help and motivate them – you will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions throughout the day. Simply book your place and we will email you details of how to join the Zoom workshop the day before.
EXTRA BONUS – the training is recorded, in case anyone experiences technical difficulties on the day, so you will also get a recording for a limited time afterwards to maximise your learning.
Why take this course
Tutor Richard Brook brings a practical and humorous approach to the bewildering array of models currently directed at front-line workers.
The programme is varied and intensive, yet lively with a strong focus on gaining skills. It clarifies what healthy teenage development looks like, why things can go wrong and the best ways to help young people overcome obstacles and begin to create lives for themselves that work well.
Richard also shows how, by working with the ‘givens’ of human nature, and ensuring that sound knowledge of how people really function is applied intelligently to teenagers, you can speed up progress, reduce anti-social behaviour and teen depression, and bring young people real benefits.
At the end of the day you will find yourself more empowered to respond effectively to each individual’s needs and temperament, whilst avoiding the emotional pitfalls of working in stressful situations.
Such a realistic and logical approach – it's given me lots of ideas for working with a variety of people, not just teenagers!Probation Officer
What will you learn
- An increased understanding of what drives most problematic behaviour, including anti-social behaviour
- Essential knowledge and skills to deliver effective interventions to young people, both individually and in groups
- A deeper understanding of the causes of adolescent mental health problems
- Simple yet effective techniques for engaging uncommunicative young people, building rapport and promoting behavioural changes
- Constructive ways to help prevent teenage depression, anxiety and stress
- Four vital guiding principles that ensure your work with young people is relevant and effective
- Ways to motivate young people and help them set achievable goals
- How to discover and build upon a young person’s strengths and engage them in practical problem-solving
- Knowledge of how the insights from the human givens approach can dramatically improve interventions and their outcomes
- The opportunity to discuss how you could implement these in your own work with a highly knowledgeable tutor who has years of hands-on experience
- The common misconceptions about adolescence
- What healthy teenage development looks like – this may bring you some surprises!
- A clear and logical foundation upon which to structure creative and effective interventions
- Ways to respond effectively to each individual’s needs, temperament and learning style
- How to avoid the emotional pitfalls of working in stressful situations
- An expanded repertoire of skills and a refined understanding of what works and – most importantly – why
The ‘How to work effectively with troubled teenagers’ course starts at 9.15am and runs until 4.00pm. (GMT).
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who has to deal or work with troubled and troublesome teenagers, including: teachers, youth workers, mentors, drug workers, social workers, schools counsellors, educational psychologists, primary mental health workers, all members of youth offending teams, youth justice workers, police and probation officers, prison staff, parents, residential and foster carers
- People who work directly with young people through sport and/or outside activities
- Anyone interested in improving adolescent mental health and reducing anti-social behaviour
- Many parents and even young people themselves have also found the course helpful
This course is also available for inhouse training – see: City of London Police
Register your interest – next date
If you can’t make this course, please complete the form below and we’ll email you when another date becomes available.
Very practical, useful advice and a new approach to bringing about behavioural change.Garda Diversion Youth Project Co-ordinator (Police Juvenile Projects in Ireland)
….a very comprehensive and thoughtful course which covered a lot of information in an imaginative and interactive way. Well researched and professionally delivered – thank you. I will encourage others to attend.Social Worker
Such a realistic and logical approach, it has given me lots of ideas for working with a variety of people, not just troublesome teenagers!Probation Officer