Probably the best training course I have ever attended. Very full, hugely informative contentWellbeing Officer, Solent MIND
Why take this course
Relationship issues are one of the most common causes of emotional distress – and often the reason people seek help. A solid understanding of why difficulties arise, and what can be done about them, is extremely useful therefore for all caring professionals, not just those working with couples.
Drawing on pioneering research, Jennifer Broadley’s one-day couples counselling course gives you this important knowledge, along with a range of strategies and proven tips for working effectively and ethically with more than one client. She shares the practical guidelines and skills she has acquired over many years of successfully helping couples using the human givens approach to build and maintain supportive and mutually rewarding relationships.
Presented without psychobabble, and making good use of insightful case histories, Jennifer demystifies an area of counselling that many find daunting or fear is complicated.
The day covers: the most effective ways to help and build rapport with couples in conflicted relationships; the sex differences in processing emotions; non-blame talking styles; the long-term impact of parenting; past conditioning, including psychological traumas, that can give clues about why difficulties arose; and what we can learn from the way successful couples facilitate mutual needs satisfaction.
Well worth attending – and the money! I will be going back refreshed and well resourced! Have lots of new skills and strategies to try.Psychotherapist
What will you learn
- Essential skills for building and maintaining rapport with two emotionally-aroused people
- Ways to encourage both partners to engage in solving their difficulties
- How to teach non-blaming communication skills and explain the differences in male and female behaviour to clients
- What to do if one or even both parties are having an affair
- How to deal with issues specific to couple counselling, such as confidentiality
- The key points you need to bear in mind when working with more than one client at a time
- How to structure effective therapy sessions and goal setting with two people
- Effective ways to help each partner begin to cooperate in helping the other get their emotional needs met
- The key ingredients for a healthy and mutually rewarding relationship
- An insight into the many common relationship problems – and how to help clients overcome them (illustrated with case histories)
- Tips and techniques for staying objective and empathetic, whilst calming your clients’ high emotional arousal
- How to recognise and interrupt disruptive behaviour patterns
- How to use Solution Focused Questioning to initiate change
- How to manage setbacks and keep the partners motivated
- How to tell when the relationship isn’t the problem – and what to do about it
- How to use Guided Imagery with two people
- Information regarding the latest research into effective couples therapy
- How early life experiences can influence our relationships, and what to do about this now
- Creative ways to develop effective interventions, including using tasks and metaphor
- Asperger’s syndrome – how to work with couples if one or both show Asperger traits, a common cause of relationship problems
- Considering the wider picture, including other family members
- Course notes, CPD Certificate and more…
The ‘Couples therapy – a practical masterclass’ counselling course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone working with couples or families, including psychotherapists, counsellors, social workers, psychologists, teachers, GPs, health visitors and those involved in mental health
- Anyone who is interested in learning solution focussed, brief therapy interventions, working with the human givens, to facilitate a rapid process of change for couples in distress.
- Anyone wanting to overcome their own insecurity in a relationship
This course is not a substitute for individual therapy
Brilliant metaphors and anecdotes for all situations – effortlessly pulled out of her vast experience – makes it so much easier to remember what we've learnt today.Practitioner working for victims of domestic abuse
What a helpful day! So much to digest, take away and use immediately with the people I work withCouples counsellor
I have much more awareness now of what to look out for – how to assess a situation and what to do to help – brilliant trainingAcupuncturist