Understanding and treating anxiety in children and teens (Live Online Workshop)
Date: Tues 9th June 2020
Length 1 day (9.30am - 4.00pm)
Tutor: Miriam Chachamu
CPD Certificate 6 hours
* Limited places *
Book your place
- Price: £192 £153.60 per person
Price includes course notes
NEW – Online workshop – join us on Tues 9th June for this brand new workshop. The information and skills covered are needed now more than ever since the outbreak of Covid-19 and you will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions. All you need is a quiet place to watch, a PC or tablet and a strong internet signal, the rest is easy – simply book your place as normal, and we will email you details of how to join the Zoom workshop.
NB The training will be recorded in case anyone experiences technical difficulties on the day.
I loved Miriam’s honest, in-depth and relaxed approach – the course was well researched and put togetherTherapist, after attending Miriam's OCD workshop
Why take this course
More and more young people are finding life stressful and sometimes scary, and we, their therapists, teachers and parents, are not always sure how best to help them. Most anxious young people don’t believe us when we reassure them that everything will be fine. This can make us feel helpless too, unsure of what else we can do. Now with the coronavirus pandemic, treating anxiety in children and adolescents effectively has become even more urgent and relevant. How do we help the next generation become more resilient, less worried and more able to deal with life’s challenges?
Like all of us, children have emotional needs that have to be met well in order for them to thrive. They are also in the process of developing their resources to meet these needs, a crucial step for their current and future mental health. Bringing up the next generation is not easy – the world around us is becoming more complex, children do not always find their place in it and we are not always sure how to help. As unchecked anxiety can lead to more serious mental health problems, it’s key to help young people as early as possible.
This 1-day online workshop with Miriam Chachamu looks into the root causes of anxiety in children and adolescents, as well as the role families and schools can unwittingly play in exacerbating anxiety and fear, and practical steps they can take to help prevent it. You will leave with a richer understanding of what triggers anxiety in children and teens, why anxiety levels are rising, as well as a range of tips and tools to take away – this practical day includes demonstrations and practice sessions of tools for parents and professionals.
Very inspiring – this will be really helpful in my work and help me improve the way I deal with a child or their parents to get more positive resultsResidential Worker, after attending Miriam's Children's Behaviour workshop
What will you learn
- Why some young people are more anxious than others
- The differences between general anxiety and specific phobias
- The hidden messages we might be giving young people that may be counter-productive
- The role of media and social media
- Practical relaxation skills for young people
- Life-style contributors to increased anxiety
- Adverse childhood events and their relationships with anxiety or phobias
- How anxiety effects family relationships and what to do about it
- How to deal with a child who has specific phobias
- How to work collaboratively with young people to give them hope and foster resilience
- The link between anxiety and learning difficulties, including for those on the autistic spectrum (ASD)
- Keeping a good balance between empathy and boundaries
- Helping with revision and exam stress
- Specific communication skills to increase understanding and cooperation so that children and teenagers would want to engage with us
- Easy and effective relaxation exercises for young people and how to teach them
- What therapists need to know about structuring good interventions and about structuring each session
- How to support parents so that they can support their children in creating positive changes
- (also see programme)
The ‘Understanding and treating anxiety in children and teens’ live online course starts at 9.15am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Teachers, social workers, therapists, and anyone else working with children and teenagers who would like to gain a better understanding of anxiety, stress and phobias
- Parents and extended family members who have anxious children in their lives and would like to help them become calmer and more confident
- Therapists who are interested in empowering parents to help their children overcome anxieties
Very useful, enjoyable course. Well presented, informal and interactive. I am looking forward to implementing what I've learnt.Emily Saunders, GP (after 'Understanding OCD and how best to treat it')
Lots of relevant points for me both as a therapist, mum and grandma.Cognitive Hypnotherapist (after 'Understanding and improving children's difficult behaviour')
Really glad I came today - great new skills and helpful insights I can use straight awayTeacher (after 'Understanding and improving children's difficult behaviour')
You may also like
Effective anxiety management
...without drugs: Anyone, either suffering from excessive anxiety or treating it, will benefit enormously from listening to this informative audiobook. Stress, panic attacks, social anxiety, phobias, (PTSD), nightmares and other distressing anxiety disorders like obsessive compulsions (OCD) are just some of the topics dealt with.