How to help children thrive (Live Online Workshop)
Date: Tues 7th February 2023
Length 1 day (9.15am - 4.00pm GMT)
Tutor: Miriam Chachamu
CPD Certificate 6 hours
- Price: £145 £125 per person
Price includes course notes
Book your place
Select a date
Live Online Join family therapist and best-selling author Miriam Chachamu on Tuesday 7th February 2023 for her inspiring workshop, you will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and benefit from her extensive experience. The day is held via Zoom.
BONUS – the training is recorded in case anyone experiences technical differences, so you will also get a recording for a limited time afterwards to maximise your learning.
Highly recommended! Miriam has extensive knowledge and experience of working with children ... A huge bonus is that many of the skills learned could also be useful in strengthening communication and relationships with adultsHealth Visitor
Why take this course
Life is harder than normal for many children today. More than ever before, they struggle with low self-esteem or low mood, depression, anger and anxiety. It’s therefore important that we understand children’s perspective and their emotional needs so we can support their development and enable them to fully enjoy their childhood, gain valuable life skills and grow to become their best.
Drawing on new research about children’s brain development, Miriam uses her extensive experience of working with families and children to give you a wealth of insights into children’s mental health and effective communication skills that you can implement straight away to improve relationships and outcomes. You will learn how to connect with children to: get them to open up to you; help them deal with difficult emotions and reduce emotional outbursts; guide them to learn from past mistakes; build confidence and healthy self-esteem; and provide them with lifelong skills including communicating effectively, positive behaviour, taking responsibility and understanding their feelings.
She also looks at the effects on children of difficult life experiences, some of them traumatic, and the causes of challenging behaviour and difficult emotional outbursts in children who haven’t experienced such difficulties. Using the many insights and skills covered on this course, it is possible to create environments in which not only children but also the rest of the family, class or school can thrive.
Essential information about why children act the way they do and how to respond in healthy, appropriate ways ...Melanie Kettner-Borough
What will you learn
- New research about children’s brain development and emotional wellbeing
- How difficult life events can shape a child’s mind – and what we can do to help
- Distress signs to look out for that indicate a child isn’t thriving, or is suffering from low self-esteem or depression
- A better understanding of difficult feelings, effective skills for dealing with them and preventing future emotional outbursts
- New insights into how children feel, think and understand our communication with them, which will increase cooperation and improve relationships – you may be surprised at what you find out!
- How our attempts to help sometimes backfire and what we could do instead
- How to prevent most temper tantrums and difficult behaviour – and de-escalate the ones that do happen
- What children need to be mentally healthy
- How to develop positive relationships with children
- Healthy and lasting ways to engender self-esteem in children
- Practical skills for motivating children to be their best
- How to help children both spot and learn from their mistakes
- Typical obstacles that prevent children from learning and progressing – and how to remove them
- Relaxation and self-regulation skills
- How to know what is realistic to expect from each child
- New language skills for improving outcomes
- Tried and tested ways to prevent or manage difficult behaviour
- How to create an environment in which not only the child but the whole family flourishes
- The opportunity to discuss with a highly experienced tutor how to apply what you’ve learnt with the children you know
- plus Course notes and CPD Certificate
This practical day is full of insights and positive, gentle and effective tools for helping children to feel good about themselves, improve challenging behaviour and gain essential skills for life. It looks at the causes of children’s mental health struggles, the developmental impact of difficult life experiences and/trauma, how we can communicate better with children to avoid escalating a situation and help them deal with difficult emotions, practical steps for improving their mental health and much more…
The ‘How to help children thrive’ live online course starts at 9.15am and runs until 4.00pm. (GMT).
Who is this course suitable for?
- Teachers, social workers, therapists, and anyone else working with children who would like to gain a better understanding of the causes of mental health struggles, and practical ways to help improve children’s wellbeing, behaviour, self-esteem and confidence
- Anyone who wants a better understanding of how children think and feel, and perceive our communication with them
- Anyone who interacts with children and would like to learn new positive and effective skills to connect with them and to motivate them to become their best
- Therapists and parenting practitioners who are interested in empowering parents to become more confident and skilled in their parenting practices
- Parents who wish to improve their relationships with their children, reduce friction and increase harmony in the home
- Therapists and parenting practitioners who are interested in helping others develop positive relationships with their children or to communicate effectively with children and prevent emotional outbursts
- Anyone else who would like to have a better understanding of the world from a child’s perspective and discover how they can use this understanding to improve children’s behaviour and wellbeing
Register your interest – next date
If you can’t make this course, please complete the form below and we’ll email you when another date becomes available.
A great day. Really helpful to understand the difference between perception and reality of an experience and how it can affect children and adults...Head Teacher
I came on this course because I've been having such dreadful times with my teenager daughter – and at last I've been given real hope that things can improve as well as some concrete, realistic ways to go about it. Today also really helped me understand better where my daughter's behaviour is coming from and how I can best help her. Thank you very much.Parent
So useful to have a thorough grasp of which innate needs are essential for emotional health and the fact that children will attempt to get these needs met in whichever ways are open to them – a huge insight into the drivers behind behaviour. And I loved the language skills for improving outcomes.Educationalist