Couples Therapy: Is Narcissism the problem? (Online)
Length: 8.45am–1.00pm (GMT)
Tutor: Jennifer Broadley
CPD Certificate: 4 hours
- Price: £110 per person
Includes course notes
Book your place
Select a date
Live training delivered online – join Jennifer Broadley for another jam-packed session live online via Zoom. You will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions. Simply book your place and we will send you email confirmation – your Zoom link will be sent the day before the event.
EXTRA BONUS – the training is recorded, in case anyone experiences technical difficulties, so you will also get a recording for 2 weeks afterwards to maximise your learning.
This additional training session gives us time to look in more depth at narcissism and what a relationship with a narcissist might look like
In most cases, applying the skills and techniques learned in the Couples Therapy Online Masterclass is all that’s needed to help a couple move forward in their relationship. But sometimes additional knowledge is needed, as in the case of relationships where narcissism is a suspected factor, to help a therapist assess more quickly and meaningfully the relationship dynamic and specific challenges involved, thus allowing them to help the couple more effectively to find a constructive and compassionate way forward and out of their current difficulties.
Why take this course
The term ‘narcissist’ is often bandied about and narcissism is frequently covered in the media – but is this language over-used or misused? It’s great that awareness is being raised generally about narcissism and the impacts it can have on a relationship, but it’s important to be well informed. As a result of this increased awareness, more people are seeking information and answers to their own experiences, as well as about the causes of their own relationship difficulties and what they can do about them. As part of that process they may well seek some counselling or therapy so it’s important that, as therapists, our knowledge, skillset and stories are as up-to-date and relevant as possible to best serve our clients.
If you already work with couples, in your private practice or employed role, and you want some more detailed insight into narcissism and how to spot it, as well as some of the additional relationship challenges it brings, this online training is for you..
Jennifer gave a very informative response to my specific request for information relating to narcissismPauline, therapist attending Jennifer's 'Couples Therapy' course
What will you learn
- What is a narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) – and what are the criteria for clinical diagnosis
- What specific unkind or manipulative behaviours in relationships can be classed as narcissism – and when should we really not use that term
- Why the reports of narcissistic emotional abuse in relationships are significantly on the increase – and how (or whether) this parallels family, relationship and societal changes
- If it’s not narcissism, what else could be causing the dysfunctional relationship pattern?
- The truths and myths of the nature vs nurture debate in relation to NPD
- How to spot narcissism when both partners are in your therapy room
- How to spot NPD when only one partner is in your therapy room
- Why it’s usually the co-dependant partner, rather than the one with narcissistic personality traits, that instigates therapy
- How to support an abused partner to exit a narcissistic relationship – OR to remain in it if he/she won’t or can’t leave
- How to identify which needs are not being met for one or both partners of a couple – and strategies to quickly change that
- Tools and checklists to keep your clients emotionally and physically safe as you support a rise in their self-esteem, self-compassion and emotional needs being met more healthily
- The common language (media and social media) for NPD-related behaviours
- How to raise children (separately or together) when one parent has NPD – the critical Do’s and Don’ts
- Additional resources to steer your clients towards – plus recommended reading for you as a therapist
- And more…
You will also have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and benefit from those asked by other people.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who has previously attended our Couples masterclass 1-day workshop (live or in person).
- Anyone working with couples, perhaps as a relationship counsellor or through couples therapy, who would like a better understanding of narcissism and NPD, and ideas for helping couples deal with the challenges these bring.
This course is not a substitute for therapy.
Register your interest
If you can’t make this date, complete the form below and we’ll email you when another date becomes available.
Jennifer Broadley spoke from such a helpful experience and I could have listened to her all day! She made the content enjoyable and I now feel confident to push forward with my couples work.Kerry Coles-Poyser, Person Centred-Counsellor