A perfectly coordinated seminar, a ‘dance’ between psychotherapy geniuses Ivan Tyrrell and Carol Harper - I wouldn't have missed it for the worldIakovos Flaskis
Why take this course
Nature provided us with a wealth of inbuilt resources to help us get our innate physical and emotional needs met.
They are a fundamental part of being human, what we call human ‘givens’, and can be usefully thought of as internal guidance systems that not only enable us to survive but to achieve remarkable things. They have been continuously refined over thousands of years and are still evolving.
A lot of attention is given to the importance of ensuring that people’s innate emotional and physical needs are met well – but our resources are an integral part of this: if they are not fully developed, or are misused or even damaged, we can suffer greatly.
A clear understanding of these guidance systems, how they work and what they do for us, is essential if you wish to help others, improve our society, or understand yourself and those around you better. This is especially true if you are an involved parent, teacher, manager, or any kind of therapist. If you work with, or for, others you need this knowledge – understanding what makes us all ‘tick’ should be at the heart of everything we do.
Amazing! Incredibly fascinating subject delivered with a deep respect for the profound human resources with which we are endowed...Damian Fearns, Trainer, Facilitator, Coach
What you will gain
- A deeper understanding of yourself and others
- More insight into the holistic nature of the rich but incomplete patterns that we inherit from our genes
- How and why these patterns must seek their completion in the environment
- An increased understanding of how memory is involved in learning – from birth to old age
- Guidance about how malleable memory is and why forgetting is as important as remembering
- The unexpected science behind emotional arousal – how emotions are created moment by moment
- A deeper understanding of the APET model – and why metaphorical pattern matching is central to all human interactions and endeavours
- Greater insight into why emotions create trance states in us – and the role this plays in many disorders
- Why being able to go into trance is essential for learning
- A richer understanding of the important role imagination plays
- A better understanding of how dreaming preserves the integrity of our genetic inheritance
- The confidence and skills to build on the instinct for rapport and what happens when that instinct is only crudely met in infancy
- An understanding of how rapport plays an important part in language acquisition
- How to counter the blight of loneliness
- Why reasoning is important and so difficult for some people
- What it means to ‘know’ something
- How we can check out our own emotional responses and biases
- We also consider whether intuition is an innate resource and the role accessing the Observing Self has in spiritual development
- And much more…
No prior knowledge of the human givens approach is needed to benefit from this course.
The ‘A closer look at our innate resources’ online course is split into 10 sections and covers the following:
Good to know
This new online course is based on live online training given during the pandemic. It gives you a unique opportunity to learn from Ivan Tyrrell, co-founder of the human givens approach, and co-author with Joe Griffin of best-selling books about our innate needs and resources.
He is joined by senior tutor Carol Harper – and together they draw on their extensive knowledge and lifetimes’ experience to share key insights that will deepen your psychological understanding and increase your ability to help people.