How to lift depression – the practical skills you need
- Price: £192 per person
Includes course notes, refreshments and lunch.
Practical, inspiring and full of hopeDr Gina Johnson, GP
Why take this course
Until recently depression was little understood but key new insights into its causes and symptoms have made treatment easier and more consistently effective. On this day you will learn how combining these insights with a wide range of different psychological techniques enables the majority of cases to be lifted surprisingly quickly … even severe ones.
Although antidepressants can play a role in reducing symptoms, they can also be dangerous and prove hard to withdraw from – research shows that appropriate counselling is more effective at lifting even the most severe depression, with a much lower rate of relapse. The approach you will learn on this workshop is in this category and is proving very effective – 10,000s of people have already been successfully helped with the knowledge and skills you will learn on the day.
Everyone, not just the caring professions, should do this day.General Practitioner
What will you learn
- Clear, practical steps for lifting even severe depression
- What to do if you suspect someone may be feeling suicidal
- New insights into why depressed people wake up tired and unmotivated, and what to do about it
- Information about the links between inflammation and depression
- Demonstrations of the skills that quickly break the cycle of depression, move people on and prevent relapse
- A profound understanding of why these work and are a big improvement on drug therapy
- Practice sessions in using these proven skills and techniques yourself
- How to establish what’s not working in a person’s life and why, using a case history
- Techniques for tackling rigid thinking, negative expectancy and the pessimistic rumination that causes depression
- How to work with your clients to find effective ways they can get their innate emotional needs met well and in balance
- A range of additional useful tips and strategies that you can easily incorporate into your work
- The opportunity to watch a film of master therapist Joe Griffin working quickly and successfully with a highly depressed patient
- You will also have plenty of time to ask questions of the highly knowledgeable tutor, who is also a practising therapist herself…
The ‘How to lift depression – the practical skills you need’ course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
- This is essential training for all counsellors, psychotherapists, social workers, occupational therapists, HR professionals and all other health and welfare professionals – since depression is now so common, it is crucial to understand it and know how to treat it quickly and effectively
- Anyone whose life is affected by depression in any way – perhaps the staff or students you are responsible for at work present with depression, or a friend or family member is depressed
- Anyone who wishes to prevent relapses
- Anyone curious about how the treatment outcomes of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and solution focused brief therapy (SFBT) approaches can be improved by bringing them into line with the new findings from brain research
- Anyone concerned about the side effects of drug treatments for depression, who would like to know about the easy-to-learn psychotherapeutic techniques that can lift depression quickly
- Anyone who, for whatever reason (personal or professional), would like to better understand the causes of depression and be able to offer practical help to people who are depressed
This course is not a substitute for individual therapy
Wonderful training. I work with university students who often come in with problems like depression – this has given me such useful, clear information – now I have the understanding and techniques to be able to offer practical help with what I deal with regularly, thank you.Health Advisor
I didn’t think learning about depression would be so enjoyable!Community Wellbeing Worker
Excellent and engaging. Complex ideas packaged very clearly and really useful techniques to take away for my work.University Mentor