Length 1 day (9.30am - 4.00pm)
Tutor: Carol Harper
CPD Certificate 6 hours
Suitable for: see below
New dates TBA
Please register your interest and we will let you know the new date as soon as it is available.
- Price: £192 per person
Includes lunch, refreshments and course notes
Book your place
Select a location & date
Jam-packed with useful information – particularly helpful was the bit on avoiding the influence of tyrants!Psychotherapist/Teacher
There are currently no dates for this course – if you would like to be informed when the next date is announced, please register your interest using the form below.
Why take this course
As anxiety and stress levels at work continue to rise across the board it’s not only the mental and physical health of those involved that is being affected – business and organisations are also at risk as stress impacts on their efficiency and profitability and thereby everyone’s long-term security.
We urgently need to turn this situation around yet there is still a general lack of coherent thinking about the underlying causes of stress in our working lives. When people are under stress in the workplace for any length of time it can result in mental and physical illness, low motivation and reduced productivity; employers and employees need to meet this challenge intelligently.
This course looks at the root causes of stress and at the difference between being healthily stretched and unhealthily stressed. It explores the human givens perspective on why stress levels can become chronic and dangerous and cause a whole range of symptoms such as exhaustion, back pain, headaches, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, anger disorders, heart disease and alcohol or drug dependency. Any of these symptoms will undermine motivation, ensure poor performance, lower productivity, sour colleague relationships and increase absenteeism and staff turnover.
For most of us, work takes up a significant proportion of our life. Nobody sets out to deliberately raise their stress levels at work or anywhere else, and yet for many of us chronic stress caused by our working life can get in the way of our enjoyment, performance and overall sense of achievement.
This course outlines what is needed to tackle these problems: how to stay calm and build emotional resilience whilst developing a working environment that enhances wellbeing as well as profitable performance. It shows how a ‘pulling together’ effect takes hold when all levels of the company can see the broader context of their work and appreciate others’ perspectives.
As a result, efficiency improves, sick leave and staff turnover are reduced and overall productivity and profit are optimised: a win-win situation.
Excellent workshop – lots of new information and ideas to try.Tom, Welfare Officer
What will you learn
- How to create a mentally healthier working environment that
immediately improves wellbeing in the workplace and helps prevent mental health problems
- The fundamental reasons people become stressed – and why simple, easy-to-implement changes can make a big difference
- Why being stretched is good for us – but being stressed isn’t
- Occupational health: why we mustn’t ignore the effects of prolonged
and excessive stress
- The key differences between a healthy working environment
and a stressful one
- Practical steps you can implement straightaway – derived from important new psychological insights and an evidence-based framework of what people need to avoid mental health problems
- Gender differences in stress responses
- Ways to raise group intelligence and improve team cohesion
- How to deal with tyrannical behaviour and emotional abuse
- The ‘Human Function Curve’ – what we all need to function well
- Why boredom is so destructive
- The real source of motivation – and how we can tap into this
- A six-step, relationship-based framework for occupational health and wellbeing in the workplace
- How chronic stress can lead to anxiety disorders, depression
and/or physical illness
- How to identify important stress warning signals – before it’s too late
- A toolkit of proven, easy-to-learn, stress busting techniques
- New evidence-based insights and practical strategies for helping yourself and others improve efficiency and staff wellbeing
- A new perspective on the workplace as a living organism
- How to prevent mental ill heath, performance anxiety and bullying
in the workplace
- The truth behind the common myth about stress
- Knowledge of the factors that undermine intelligent performance
- How to gain a good balance between occupational health and
- Why context is important
- How to implement these ideas in your own workplace to develop good occupational health and wellbeing for everyone
- A blueprint for an organisational structure that nurtures staff wellbeing – and encourages optimum performance and productivity and more…
The ‘Workplace Stress: the real causes and what you can do about them’ course starts at 9.30am and runs until 4.00pm.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone working in a stressful environment
- Managers at all levels, including those running a corporation, business or organisation
- Business coaches, personal or life coaches, wellbeing officers, performance coaching, workplace coaching
- Anyone in Human Resources, personnel training or Occupational Health who helps people suffering symptoms of stress or mental health problems at work
- Health and wellbeing professionals, including: psychotherapists, counsellors, clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, GPs, psychiatric nurses, health visitors, nurses, pastoral workers, chaplains, social workers, youth workers, occupational therapists etc
- Anyone who feels they are fire-fighting increasing rates of work-generated anxiety disorders, depression, addiction and psychosomatic illnesses
- Anyone wanting to learn more about the latest effective strategies for alleviating emotional disturbance – whether for professional or personal reasons
Register your interest - next date
If you would like to be first to know once the new date is released, please complete the form below and we will keep you up to date.
Excellent day. Very informative course. Will definitely help with managing stress within teams and open lines of discussion. Thank you.Dementia Lead
Really interesting – great to see the HG structure in stress reduction with practical ideas relating to the workplace, the key causes of stress at work and the importance of relationship-based framework were very helpful – as was talking to other people on the course!Educational Consultant
The human givens model makes a lot of sense to me – I will look into it more, and the course booklet with the information will also be useful.Nurse